Traditional braces are a tried and true method of teeth straightening that you can count on for visible results. If you or a loved one is interested in straighter teeth and a more beautiful smile, traditional braces can quickly make that goal a reality.
Braces Then vs. Now
In the early 1960s, braces were a popular way of straightening teeth. They were typically wrapped around teeth in what was known as a headgear of sorts. While perhaps odd to look at and potentially embarrassing for the subject wearing them, they were nevertheless effective treatment.
Today, traditional metal braces have advanced further and no longer require large extraneous headgear. Rather, they are adhered directly to the teeth of a patient and connect with wires that gradually shift teeth around. The traditional braces of today fit closely to your teeth for increased comfort, and they even work faster than ever before to straighten your smile.
Benefits of Metal Braces
Teeth straightening is more than a simple cosmetic procedure. While the end result is a beautifully straight smile, the reality is that your overall oral health will improve. Straighter teeth are easier to care for and maintain. It’s also easier to notice any problems or potential issues quickly with a straighter smile.
Braces offer a wide range of benefits, many of which will be fully experienced and enjoyed by patients once the braces are removed. Some of these benefits include:
- Alleviation of Speech Impairments. Many suffer from speech impairments associated with their jaw placement or the way their teeth are aligned. This can be corrected with braces.
- Prevention of Gum Disease. The straighter teeth are, the easier they are to clean and care for. When you have straighter teeth, your smile is safer from serious disease or decay.
- Better Chewing Abilities. The way our teeth are aligned affects how we chew. People with misaligned teeth might be damaging their teeth while eating without even realizing it. This can be corrected with braces.
- Reduced Grinding and Clenching of Teeth. Many people grind and clench their teeth when feeling anxious or while asleep. Some of this behavior can be prevented by using braces to properly realign the teeth.
- Reduced Risk of Injury from Protruding Teeth. Protruding or crooked teeth can be easily damaged. Using braces to correct and straighten these teeth will reduce your risk of injury and dental damage.
- Proper Bite Alignment. It’s important that a patient’s bite is aligned correctly so that they can bite, chew, and speak properly. Your jaw will be stronger and healthier when it is properly aligned.
- A Better Fit. In some cases, Invisalign aligners or other clear braces might not be the right fit for a patient. Even if Invisalign treatment isn’t right for you, it’s very likely you can still straighten your teeth with traditional braces.
Signs You or Your Child Might Need Braces
Most of the signs that you or your child need braces are fairly obvious, though some might be less so. It’s always advisable to contact your othdontondist to get their opinion on the matter before making any decisions.
Some signs to watch out for might include:
- Visibly crooked or crowded teeth.
- Difficulty flossing.
- Frequently accidentally biting your tongue or cheek.
- Teeth that don’t bite together properly.
If you, a friend, or loved one is dealing with any of these issues, you might be a good candidate for traditional braces. Dr. DiMarzio and his team of talented and well-trained staff are a great resource for you and your children. He will be able to identify the issues at hand and the best way for you to correct them.
Take Advantage of Traditional Braces to Improve Your Health and Smile
Get in touch with our team at DiMarzio Orthodontics today to learn more about braces and what they can do to correct your smile, bite, and improve your overall oral health.